May 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM
To start with, I’m not sure this is supported and maybe this is old news…
Anyway, have you ever wanted to interrupt a request with an approval when a new resource is provisioned into FIM (and already written to App DB) when you can’t do it in the authorization stage or maybe when a resource is transitioning in or out of a set even though the approval activity is an authorization activity and you OOB can’t add it to an action workflow?
With a small tweak this is possible…
- Head for Administration (within the portal, are you with me?)
- Click All Resources and then probably as number one the resource type - Activity Information Configuration
- What you see now is all the available activities within FIM and what we want to do is create a new one so go ahead and click the New button (maybe you have to give yourself rights as an administrator to add Activity Information Configuration resources)
- Add the following values to the Common Attributes page:
Description: This activity applies for approval from specific approvers by mail and from action workflows.
Display Name: Action Approval
- Switch to the Extended Attributes page and add the following values (these values are the same as for the AuthZ Approval activity, the only difference is “Is Action activity”):
Activity Name: Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Workflow.Activities.ApprovalActivity
Assembly Name: Microsoft.IdentityManagement.Activities, Version=4.0.2592.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
Is Action Activity: Checked
Type Name: Microsoft.IdentityManagement.WebUI.Controls.ApprovalActivitySettingsPart
- Click OK and then Submit.
What we’ve just done is created a new Activity resource that’s basically a copy of the original Approval activity (leaving the OOB FIM configuration unchanged is a best practice) but with the difference it’s available for interrupting action workflows before subsequent activities actually do anything that requires an approval.